Sally Jean Spring Workshops
March 13-15, 2013
***REGISTRATION, CLASS DESCRIPTIONS & BASIC SUPPLY LIST are below***
SAN DIEGO, CA
Wednesday through Friday
March 13 - 15, 2013
Workshops are 10-5:30
(registration fee includes class, kit & lunch)
** Registrations are on a first-come/first-served basis. **
~ Wednesday ~
Is the Jackalope a myth? Or a legend? Or just a creature who lurks in nightmares? On this day, the dream of the Jackalope comes true! We will construct a small journal from metal and glass, with pages for sketching or biology notes, and adorned on the face with a...Jackalope! (Did I mention the Jackalope can be detatched and worn as a pendant?) New techniques you will discover include a way to emboss/engrave/etch your solder and how to create a shapely soldered decoration to your glass, and more. Soldering experience a must. I believe...do you? It's almost taxidermy...but not.
Glass Kit, Book Form, and Jackalope Kit included. $150
DEAD BUG SOCIETY
~ Thursday & Friday ~
This Workshops has sent me over the moon! I am crazy for it! In this special 2-day Workshop we will be creating our own Entomology Specimen Box. Don't run away! In "girly" terms, it is a box containing a Butterfly, Moth, Bee and Dragonfly...but not your average bugs. These bugs will be made out of glass, paper, wire, fabric, jewels, found objects, etc. Even better, each will be a pendant/brooch which you can wear, and then keep in your special "Butterfly Box" which we will also build. There are four different techniques for creating your "bugs", and you will learn each one as well as how to make an easy-opening box to hang & display your Collection. If there is extra time, we can make a necklace which the Bugs can hang from. You supply butterfly net & bee-keepers hat. Glass Kit & Box Form included. Finished box 6"x6" to 8"x10". Bugs are a few inches each. Soldering experience a must. 2-days $285
There is a BASIC SUPPLY LIST for all workshops which you MUST bring.
Then, there is a SPECIAL SUPPLY LIST for each individual Workshop.
**A SPECIAL SUPPLY LIST will be emailed to you**
(for ALL workshops)
BASIC SUPPLIES FOR ALL WORKSHOPS:
For all workshops, you must bring:
Pencil or Pen
Small Glue Stick or Elmers Glue or other adhesive
Metal Rectangular Cookie Sheet with edge - cheap 10x15 from Target - YOU MUST BRING ONE OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SOLDER
Hand-Towel (at least 1...prefer 2) a washcloth is too small
Work Surface (something to protect the table surface such as a large piece of heavy paper, canvas, etc.)
3-Prong Power Strip (optional & helpful - it will allow you slack with the soldering iron and/or heat gun)
Ott Light (optional - if you would like more lighting at your work space)
Pliers (as follows):
Linesman/Chain Nose Pliers (sample shown above)
Bent Nose Pliers (sample shown above)
Round Nose / Needle Nose Pliers (sample shown above)
Wire-Cutters (sample shown above)
*Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels, etc. have a pre-pack assortment of pliers for $10. You may also find some online by Google Search.*
(optional ~ bring them if you have them)
As for soldering supplies, if you have your own equipment and are able to bring it, please do.
If not, I will have
soldering equipment that can happily be shared. To use my equipment,
you can check it out with your drivers license.
Soldering Supplies includes:
Soldering Iron (80 watt or higher)
Soldering Iron Stand
Rheostat (if necessary)
Solder (lead free)
Tips in different sizes (3/16" Tip is my favorite)
**I will have Flux and Sponges to share ... no need for you to travel with it unless you want to solder in your hotel room :-) **
* NOTE: Do not include charms in your Workshop order *
NOTE: If you are purchasing a Workshop Registration as a gift, please let me know via email
or in a note at checkout. Your payment receipt is your confirmation.
Important Policy Information:
1) Workshop Registrations are NON-REFUNDABLE. However, you may sell or transfer your class to another person. Fees paid for Workshops may also be transferred to different dates/workshops offered by Sally Jean directly (space available) with a $50 deduction of the credit per class day and only provided the notice of transfer is made 30-days or more prior to original Workshop date. Within 30 days of the original workshop there is no option for this. Please note there is no guarantee of future workshops. We realize that unexpected issues may arise which prevent you from attending a Workshop - but remember that a space has been set aside for you. No one circumstance is more important than another - so this policy is firm. You must notify us in writing (via email) of any changes.
2) The registration fee includes the glass kit for the project and lunch daily.
3) Accommodations, meals not listed, and transportation are not included.
4) A modest supply list will be emailed prior to the workshop.
5) Registration is online only and space is very limited for this special workshop. Register early.
6) The workshop location will be in the Poway area of San Diego, CA at a private residence - details and directions will be sent to registered attendees approximately 30 days prior to the workshop. Please note that the Workshop location may not be accessible by public transportation. Workshop hours are 10:00 am -5:30 pm and the doors open after 9:30am.
7) If, due to illness or another event out of my control, your Workshop is canceled, we will make every effort to reschedule it and transfer your registration. Otherwise, your registration fee will be refunded. We recommend that you take out travel insurance in the event of this occurrence. We will not be liable for any expenses beyond the Workshop Registration Fee.
8) Workshops must be paid for at the time of Registration. Please make payments online with your credit card.
Photos from San Diego October 2012